Feels like home, home

15 comments
WARNING: I say the term 'home' alot.
I am moving back to San Francisco this weekend. This move seems a bit more permanent for a few reasons:
1. Well, I'm moving into an actual apartment, not a dorm on-campus.
2. This summer will probably be my longest stay in my house from now on.
3. The majority (really all) of my belongings will now be in SF, not my 'home'.
The subject of feeling at home and calling a place 'home' is actually quite interesting because many, when thinking that term, think of a place, but not only can it be that, but also the people and the things you have to make it a home.
I'm obviously going to have to make this new apartment my home because it will be for the year. I might move into another place next year and I'll have to make that place my new home as well so I think it's healthy to think of, wherever you live, as home. But that can also be difficult to do. You're so used to this one place being home, how could you ever think of another place as that? It's just something you need to be flexible with and get used to, I guess.
Home is a very comfortable word, very safe, at least for me. When I think of home, I think of my family, including my bunny, Orange County, my room, my materialistic things, weird patterns, messiness (if I'm being quite honest), weird smells, loud conversations, just things EVERYWHERE.
And now with this new move, I think that'll change. Some will be the same things, but adding on friends, San Francisco, cold weather, laughs, and so many others that I can't really say now because this move hasn't happened and I haven't experienced it yet.
When I first moved out, I remember calling that dorm 'home' for the first time and it was really weird. I just looked at my friend, Mia, like "what the hell". It was a realization of growing up. A realization that we can have more than one home, and personally, I find that very comforting.
To end this, here's a quote I found a while ago about home. =^^=
"Home is so sad. It stays as it was left, Shaped to the comfort of the last to go. As if to win them back."  - Philip Larkin

15 comments:

Katie Hunter said...

Gah, this post is soo aesthetic-how do you make all your collage-y things??
Home for me is definitely specific people, if they are there then I can be at home almost anywhere.
I hope your new discovery of home works well for ya :)
katie-louu.blogspot.co.uk

melody said...

Aw this post is so cute! Well done for moving into an apartment!! I'm going to uni (hopefully) next year and the idea of turning a new room into my sort of "new home" is kind of weirding and exciting to me. I'll probably miss the people the most (like you said people make a place home) but I guess your friends are your family too, right. Anyway, awesome post, and I love all of the cool collage styled images :) xo

Josselyn Palma said...

Thank you!!! I just gather little things I have, put them together, and scan it all on my printer, pretty easy.
Definitely agree with that, people can be so home-like it's weird!!

Josselyn Palma said...

Thanks so much!! It will definitely be scary at first because it'll be something really new, but you just get used to it and it'll be your second home!! I was with my friends like 24/7 last year so they made my place a home because I was able to be comfortable at any time!!! Once you find those people you can be comfortable with, it'll be great. :-)

Unknown said...

LET'S DO THIS MY BEAUTIFUL FRIEND!!!!!!

Josselyn Palma said...

WOOHOOO!!!!!

Zoe Thompson said...

This is really cool, good luck with moving and love the collages!! (Might have to try it out hehe)

HALE said...

I feel like any place can become your home... it just takes time. Sometimes it takes longer than other times to settle down, but it's still possible!
Aleeha xXx
http://www.halesaaw.com/

Lexie said...

Love this post. I've never moved house before so home has always been where I am now, the thought of moving is quite scary and a strange thought...! x x x

Josselyn Palma said...

Thank you, thank you!!!!!!!

Josselyn Palma said...

Definitely agree with that!!!

Josselyn Palma said...

I totally get what you mean, honestly before I moved out, I didn't think I could do it. Thank you!!!

Unknown said...

I'm a biiiig homebody so moving has always been very scary to me, you'll be fine though love! <3
http://www.britishmermaid.com

Unknown said...

Ah chica!!! This post is everything and trust me our new home is going to be awesome! You mentioned how home is based on factors that are pleasing to our five senses (very true), therefore being surrounded by us (the chicas), home is here.

Cleo said...

this post is so beautiful! the aura is very mellow, fun and nostalgic <33 I love the way you present your pictures/doodles - it gives such an amazing vibe. Do you scan them? xx

Powered by Blogger.