music for ur ears

9 comments
If ya didn't know, I'm in this group called "Creatives of Colo(u)r" where there will be tons of awesome, people of color, and gender non-conforming bloggers! If you'd like to join, plsss email creativebloggersofcolour@gmail.com, we'd love to have more members!!

For the first monthly 'Creatives of Colo(u)r' posts, we've decided to talk about bands/musicians who are people of color. To be quite honest, it took me a bit to even find these three artists, which can make sense because of the general genre of music I listen to, but also it was upsetting because I'm not expanding my horizons in the music world, which I'm trying to do!!! Anyways, here are some great artists that i've been listening to lately and fooorrreevvverr!! =^^=


BLOOD ORANGE
Alright, if ya haven't listened to Dev Hynes' (A.K.A. Blood Orange) Freetown Sound, you got to!! It is too good. It's got a lot of meaning and soul to it and you can just FEEEELLL it throughout this album. You've got poetry in it, some amazing instrumental sounds, and even Carly Rae Jepsen makes an appearance, and it's damn good. The album work gives a total 90's-early 2000's feel and it's top-notch. He also provided a few songs for the Palo Alto soundtrack, and let me tell you, Champagne Coast is a HIIIT. Basically Dev Hynes is a GENIUS and a total social activist, you'll see him talking about #blacklivesmatter a ton, and being #woke. He's very cool. (and I'll be seeing him at FYF this year...yes I am crying.)
SELENA QUINTANILLA
If you're Latinx and don't know who she is..where u been...totally kidding, but she is a LEGEND. Watching her documentary about her life makes me cry, every.single.time. She died at the age of 23, right before she became a huge hit in the world. It's quite sad that many great musicians die at such a young age. Anyways, between my friends and family, whoever it is, if Selena is put on, you knoooowwww you'll be jamming to her and belting out the lyrics. I wish I would listen to more Spanish music because listening to her and singing in Spanish is SO FUN and gets me in touch with my ~**~*~Latina culture~*~**~. Basically, she was amazing and beautiful and I wish she was still thriving and making hits.
CREDS TO ROSIE EVANS AND THE BLOOM MAGAZINE FOR THIS COOL BACKGROUND. YOU GUYS ARE SO AWESOME!!!
TWIN SHADOW
I've listened to Twin Shadow for yeaaarrrzzzz now and I could never get tired of his 'Confess' album. It's definitely an album that makes me feel nostalgic because I got into it when I was GREATLY influenced by my sister, in all different aspects, and so it just reminds me of her and my growing years. Twin Shadow has songs that you'll feel damn cool driving around and singing along to his fun, very funky tunessssss!!!

9 comments:

Zoe Thompson said...

I love music from different cultures and in different languages, and Selena's voice is so beautiful!!

Josselyn Palma said...

Yes!!!!!

Mali Michaela said...

I LOVE champagne coast so much, and I can't wait to listen to some of the other suggested tunes

:))

malimichaelablog.blogspot.co.uk

Josselyn Palma said...

It's soooo good!!! Hope you find something you like!!

melody said...

thank you so much for this!!! i love love love how you do your scanning collages they're beautiful, and i'll definitely check these guys out! x

HALE said...

I've never heard of any of these artists before other than Twin Shadow.
Aleeha xXx
http://www.halesaaw.com/

Lexie said...

Dev Hynes is like my favourite person everr. Absolutely love what he stands for and love his twitter big time x x
www.lexiealexandra.com

Unknown said...

yyyesssss! i love them all!!!

Unknown said...

I've been meaning to listen to Blood Orange FOREVER omg, definitely going to give him a listen now! <3
www.britishmermaid.com

Powered by Blogger.