Fear of My Identity

5 comments
IT'S SPRING!!!! AND I'M ON SPRING BREAK!!! WAHHOOOO!!! I am finally in my little city over here in Orange County and I could not be happier. These past two months have been pretty rough because of school + new/first job. I think the job thing was what was really stressing me out and making everything else so prominent (school and not being able to be alone and not having a lot of time to do things, etc., etc.). I complain about the job a lot because of the few stressful moments that make a big impact on my mood, BUT I do have fun with it all. Hanging out with little ones is a lot of fun for me, but when it's a completely different environment than what I am used to..it gets a bit overwhelming. AANNYYYWAYS, I'm just gonna make a bit of an update/rant post so herrrre we go:
This is an outfit from last week, thought I'd just put it in. Jean-on-jean (or denim-on-denim according to my friend, Jess, [F U]) is honestly one of the best trends right now, too good. Basically this is all thrifted/second-hand clothes, except my socks, which are from...Forever 21...I believe...
What I have been spending my nights/hours on lately is my new obsession: RuPaul's Drag Race. If you have not heard about this show, WHERE HAVE U BEEN!?!?!? But if you don't know, it's basically America's Next Top Model, but for Drag Queens!! It is suuuuccchhh a funny show, these people are such characters. The outfits and make-up and overall personality is so fun and beautiful, you just have to watch it.
For one of our final nights before spring break in SF, my friends' and I decided to visit the well-known Twin Peaks. It was way too cold so we left like not even five minutes after hahahhaa. I definitely prefer this place in the day light because seeing the city's colors is pretty amazing -- tip of the day.
So I have been meaning to make a post about this subject, but thought it'd be best to just put it in a update post because it's not supposed to be a big deal, for me personally, the subject I can go on about. I have come to realize I don't subject myself to labels. The oonlllyyy socially constructed label I choose to follow is that I am a girl. With that being said, yeah I'm saying I'm not straight, I'm not a lesbian, I'm not asexual, etc., I don't want to put myself in any of those social categories because I don't have enough experience to put myself in one of labels and really it's just not me. I've had a hard time dealing with the idea of labels since the beginning of senior year in high school and I have barely come to realize a few weeks ago that those labels DON'T MATTER. I don't need to stress about it and neither should anybody else. Soooo many people are so fixed on this need to HAVE to know what gender somebody is, or what their sexuality is, or anything really! Society has emphasized this idea of having to be part of these categories and ONLY those categories and IT'S SO EXCLUSIVE!!! What if someone doesn't feel like a boy OR a girl? What if someone doesn't know if they're gay or not? We are putting them in this stress of identity crisis that they really don't need. We have come a long way of accepting people for who they are, but that does not mean we can stop. Our society is still so very close minded, especially towards these labels. It makes people so bothered that some don't have a direct answer for who they are and we need to stop ourselves from wanting to have this yes or no answer. I'm saying 'we' because this is our society, we are all a part of it, whether you like it or not. So, moral of the rant is: stop needing an answer and putting people into these socially constructed labels. It's very inconsiderate. They're not important, the person's health is.
 Here's my airport outfit, hahahaha. Shirt - Best Coast/WAVVES show // shorts - thrifted // shoes - second- hand Docs thanks to my friend's, Mal's, mom!!! Honestly I have worn these shoes soooo much, they are so cute and go with everythaaannngggg.
So, my sister took my mom and I around LA for a bit on Sunday and man, LA is so beautiful (sometimes). The sun was shinin', which I missed so much because it's currently raining in SF and my sister told me about McMansions in the Venice Canals. McMansions are basically mini mansions that are being built around LA, creating even more gentrification than there already was. Anyways, the Venice Canals is basically a neighborhood filled with McMansions and IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT. I did not know this was real until we came and I was left with no words. These rich ass people built such beautiful, unique, HUGE houses. I couldn't believe that there are actually people who are this rich. If you are visiting L.A., love houses, and want to take a bit of a stroll, go to the Venice Canals, you will leave in awe.
Well, it is currently almost 2 AM so I gotta sleep. Hopefully I will post two projects this week, but we shaaallll seeee!!! Hope you all are happy =^^=

5 comments:

Zaynab Abigail said...

Love this post and I totally get what you mean about labels, they've stressed me out for so long, it was such a relief when I finally realised that sometimes us as humans just can't fit into these impossibly small and confining societal boxes. Also congrats on your new job, I hope it gets less stressful!!

Adele said...

so many snippets of what look like such amazing experiences- and good for you for recognizing that labels can lead to a crises for many people and it's totally unnecessary (also, we can't distance ourselves from what is a systemic problem and societal problem, we are a part of our society)

http://secret-hipster.blogspot.com/

Josselyn Palma said...

Yes!!! I feel a huge weight off my shoulders now, it's awesome. Thank you!!!

Josselyn Palma said...

Yes!!! Completely agree that we need to recognize we are and always will be part of this society, whether there are things we hate about it or not.

charcuterieshawty said...

I sang in Bethany's voice right when I read the title! Love how much time you have been thinking of yourself too, society is so funky. Denim on denim is also such a look ♥ http://rachelsteph.blogspot.com/

Powered by Blogger.