Ideal World

16 comments
AAAALRIGHT. This is a long overdue post. Hair. I don't shave..at all. Not my legs, not my armpits, not my pubes, sometimes my upper lip, but that's about it. Why. Why is the whole shaving/not shaving such a big deal to people? Like...GRRRL it's growing on my body for a reason!??!?! It wouldn't be there if it was something that could hurt me? (Let's disconnect this post from people who like to shave. I am in nooooo way discouraging you or insulting you by this post, DO U MAN. This is about those who ridicule hair.) I know family members and semi-friends who would be totally grossed/weirded out seeing my armpit hair or knowing I don't shave my pubes and it makes me so mad!!! Hair is SO VERY normal and throughout these years people have created this societal image that it has to be shaved off, and it's especially pointed towards females and it's just simply dumb.
Teen Vogue magazine clip from the Grimes issue.
This goes along with the idea of people not being comfortable with talking about sex or penises or vaginas or dildos ETC. ETC.!!! Society has created this list of what you can talk about in public and what you can't and I hate it. I hate not being able to talk about my period because people in public will get grossed out. I hate knowing that people aren't having safe sex because their parents or school don't do a well enough job teaching them about it, or warning them because it's taboo. I hate knowing that young(er than me) teens are too embarrassed to talk about their own body parts and not learning the proper ways to clean them or just to be able to have a normal conversation about it. I just hate the fact that over the years we have made everything so taboo and risque and people aren't learning about their bodies!!! I want everyone to be able to communicate with their partners about what they like and what they don't like during sex. I want people to be able to talk to their friends about their periods and what their experiences are like. I want schools to be able to teach students ACTUAL VITAL DETAILED information about their bodies!!!!!
Drawings by Jess.
luv ur body
Gonna start using Polyvore again, so if ya use it you can look at my stuff here, even though I'll probably post it on my blog as well!!

Let's just try to diminish the idea of not being able to talk about our bodies and what they do and how to help them, damn it. Hope you all are already comfortable with talking about all that, and if not, try!!! =^^=

16 comments:

melody said...

SO TRUE! When it comes to periods, I try not to hide it. Like, when I'm with my friends, if they ask me what's wrong and I'm on my period, then I just say it straight. I also do that when I'm around the house and with my brother (younger) because I really want to try and normalise it. I mean it IS NORMAL. So yeah, I totally agree with what you said, especially about sex and body hair etc and just everything! Great post and I loved the images! x

Josselyn Palma said...

Yes!! That's awesome that you're normalizing it in your household!! I think it's so important for younger ones to know that body fluids and body parts are normal and can be talked about in normal conversations, not to be hidden!! And thank you :-)

Adele said...

I remember when I first had armpit hair- because I was playing team basketball and our coach was *an older cool girl* (actually she was a bitch) I felt so pressured to get rid of it. Now having the set of values that I do today I wish I hadn't shaved, but continue to do it today. When it comes to periods though I don't feel embarrassed at all to buy pads or tampons at the store so I am slowly growing

http://secret-hipster.blogspot.com/

Josselyn Palma said...

I had a similar experience too!! We had this day called "field day" where we would do different outside activities. Before that day, I BEGGED my mom to let me shave my legs because I wanted to wear shorts since it would be a hot day. It's so ridiculous how since we were very little, we were pressured to do certain things. Time 2 chhhaaangggeeee this!!!!!

Unknown said...

YES GIRL I love you for doing you and not conforming to stupid ancient gender norms, you're rad <3
http://www.britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk

Josselyn Palma said...

Thanks so so much!!!

victory said...

I don't shave anywhere either, unless I want to and I'm doing it for myself and no one else, but in saying that, I still struggle greatly with what people are going to perceive of me. It's this whole process of unlearning the old ways of thinking and replacing with new ways of thinking, but it's so easy to relapse and I've found myself shaving my armpits or my legs out of fear of others opinions, which sucks, greatly.

I admire your confidence, Joss, it's people who are so confident in what they believe about the taboo of body hair, ect, that give people like me the confidence not to care! The huge process of unlearning those old ways of thinking about my body, periods, ect is so hard but, ugh, the fact that I can come back and read this post whenever I feel totally defeated by the constant barrage of opinions/expectations is going to be such a huge help! <3

Vogue Escapade

Josselyn Palma said...

VICCCTOORRRYYY!! Why are you such a sweet person. Honestly, I think if you believe you don't care about anyone's opinion, you won't care about anyone'e opinion. You just really need to push yourself and think about your own happiness and your own wants!!! High school was pretty rough because I was trying unlearn this thought process of "what if someone doesn't like it or judges me" that had been engraved into my mind for my entire life. It sucks that we all go through this because of society, but soon enough everyone will learn to do what makes them happy. Thanks so so so much, Victory, for this comment!!!

k said...

You said everything in this post so beautifully! Really enjoyed reading this ! <3

Lots of love from kinga.jpg blog

Josselyn Palma said...

Thanks so so much!!!!

young soul said...

These pictures are beautiful! I love how natural they look, because we're all most beautiful when we're least fake. Now, confidently saying that you don't care about shaving means a huge dose of feminism, and that's the best!
http://teenapes.blogspot.com/

Josselyn Palma said...

Thanks so much!!! I completely agree, ~*~*~candid~*~*~ pictures are always the best because it was just a real moment, y'know? Feminism has really helped me grow as a person so it's really awesome to incorporate that into my everyday life routine and know people see that!!!

Zoe Thompson said...

I was literally having this convo with my friends a couple of days ago!!! I COMPLETELY AGREE OMG. Like...it's hair...and it's natural...so...wtf....!! I frickin' love this post. I definitely feel as if natural, human being things are becoming so taboo to talk about and it's so frustrating.

Unknown said...

yes to everything!! first post I read and love it! I'm very particular about the places I shave and where I dont and I hate when people make comments joking about armpit hair while i'm sat there with a good few months of hair under my pits. and shaving anyway is such a struggle i'm only gonna bother when I really care about it and sometimes I like feeling my little leg hairs poking out the bottom of my jeans or the odd longer thicker than the others hairs that grow on my lower arms
xx rosie xx

Josselyn Palma said...

Seriously!!!! People really need to start realizing that these things are completely normal. Thank you!!

Josselyn Palma said...

It is the wooorssstttt when people comment on my hair, it's so unnecessary!! I've even experienced people staring at my legs because I have hair, it's so annoying. People should just be able to do what they want to do without having others judging them for something that's natural. Thank you!!!

Powered by Blogger.